Monday, September 02, 2013

NT Blog's Ten Year Anniversary!

Happy birthday to me!  The NT Blog is ten years old today.  Its first post in what was then called "The NT Gateway Blog" went out on September 2 2003, Welcome to the NT Gateway Blog.  3,887 posts later and we are still here!

I began this blog as a bolted on extra to the New Testament Gateway which was then absorbing a huge amount of my time.  I'd been a fan of Jim Davila's Paleojudaica for a while and one day it dawned on me that I could do something similar.  I had never even heard of blogging until Paleojudaica appeared, and it struck me that a blog would enable me to gather together lots of the things that I had been trying to do with the NT Gateway, like drawing attention to great websites and adding "notices" of forthcoming events as well as, at the same time, discussing the New Testament in the news.

As time went on, the NT Blog became bigger than the site that spawned it, and the proliferation of other blogs enabled me to find my own niche.  I still wish that I could post more often, but I enjoy the blog, and I enjoy participating in the blogging community where I have found friends as well as some great intellectual stimulation.

I have written so often about the art of academic blogging, its successes and failures, that I don't have anything fresh to add here -- so please check out this cache of posts if you are interested: NT Blog: Academic Blogging.

My previous blogiversary posts are self-indulgently gathered here.

David Meadows celebrates ten years of Rogue Classicism today too -- don't forget to pop over there to thank him for all his great work over the years.  If only I had posted so often!

Many thanks to everyone over the years who has offered encouragement and who has commented and provided interaction on the other blogs.  There's no question about it -- it's the communal side of blogging that makes it worthwhile.

9 comments:

Brian LePort said...

Congrats!

James F. McGrath said...

Happy blogiversary!

Biblemanblog said...

Congratulations, the tech world has changed much in the past ten years.

Deane said...

Congratulations. I love your work.

airtonjo said...

Congratulations! You are a brave pioneer.

Unknown said...

Indeed! Congrats on being a pioneer in the field.

Unknown said...

Indeed! Congrats on being a pioneer in the field.

John Dash said...

Congratulations and Thank You!

Mike Grondin said...

Well done, Mark. Your work here is much appreciated.