Saturday, April 01, 2006

Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic?

Reading Hypotyposeis this morning on Some Would-be Discoveries reminded me of the report from two years ago today on the discovery of Q, to which Stephen refers. And that thread reminded me of a talk I gave two years ago that I have never got published, and I have decided to publish it here. It was a lecture given as part of a series of Cadbury Lectures in the University of Birmingham's Department of Theology and Religion on the theme of "Religion and Globalization". My lecture focused on an urban legend, commonly given the title "Is hell exothermic or endothermic" and in the piece I reflect on the way in which urban legends develop on the net, and make some playful analogies with Christian origins:

The Tale of Theresa Banyan (MS Word format)

Is Hell Exothermic or Endorthermic: Text Types (MS Word format)

The Tale of Theresa Banyan (PDF format)

Is Hell Exothermic or Endorthermic: Text Types (PDF format)

No comments: